Lecturer of computer science at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Computer Science department. Since January, 2014.
Adress: Daniel Hernández Lobato, Escuela Politécnica Superior, B-346, Calle Francisco Tomás y Valiente 11, 28049, Madrid, Spain.
Email: daniel hernandez uam es.
Phone: +34 91 497 22 00.
Fax: +34 91 497 22 35.
I obtained a Ph.D. and a M.Phil. in Computer Science from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain, in January 2010 and June 2007, respectively. My Ph.D. thesis received the award to the best thesis on Computer Science defended during that academic year in that institution. Between November 2009 and September 2011 I worked as a post-doc researcher at Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium. There I had the opportunity to collaborate with Prof. Pierre Dupont and Prof. Bernard Lauwerys in the identification of bio-makers for the early diagnosis of arthritis. In September 2011 I moved back to Universidad Autónma de Madrid, and since January 2014 I work there as a Lecturer of Computer Science. My research interests are mainly focused on the Bayesian approach to machine learning, with an emphasis on feature selection methods. However, I have also worked on ensemble methods (I have co-organized a tutorial and a workshop at ECML/PKDD on that topic) and on Gaussian processes for classification under labeling noise. Recently, I have also become interested in the problem of causal inference.
Here you can find a link to my cv [pdf].
- Feb, 2016: I am very happy to announce that one of my papers entitled “Non-linear Causal Inference using Gaussianity Measures” has been accepted for publication at the Journal of Machine Learning Research!
- December, 2015: A paper of mine entitled “Expectation Propagation for Scalable Gaussian Process Classification” has been accepted for oral presentation at AISTATS 2016. Only 35 papers have been accepted in such a presentation format!. See you there!
- November, 2015: Three extended abstracts have been accepted for presentation at NIPS 2015. See you there!
- June, 2015: I am very happy to announce that I have been selected for a 2015 ICML reviewer award!
- May, 2015: An article I am co-authoring has been accepted for publication at the PlosONE journal. The title of the article is “Heterogeneity of Synovial Molecular Patterns in Patients with Arthritis“. You can fin here the link.
- April, 2015: I have a paper accepted at ICML 2015 entitled “A probabilistic model for dirty multi-task feature selection“. See you in ICML 2015.
- April, 2015: I have been invited as a speaker in the workshop on Gaussian Process Approximations, which is organized by Neil Lawrence, Aki Vehtari and Ole Winther.
- November, 2014: One article of mine entitled “Expectation Propagation in Linear Regression Models with Spike-and-slab Priors” has been recently accepted by the Machine Learning journal!
- October, 2014: Two extended abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the Workshops of the Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) conference. The titles of the abstracts are: “Learning the Semantics of Discrete Random Variables: Ordinal or Categorical?“ and “A Probabilistic Model for Dirty Multi-task Feature Selection”. The documents are available in the publications section.
- September, 2014: One of my submissions to NIPS 2014 has been accepted for publication! The title of the work is Mind the Nuisance: Gaussian Process Classification using Privileged Noise. The document is available in the publications section.
- July, 2014: Starting a new web site at wordpress.com. Hope you would enjoy it!